Complex process control systems are uneconomical for many industrial processes. A combined intelligent measuring device and process computer is a good and surprisingly powerful alternative. Process computing devices perform a wide range of monitoring and control tasks and also offer advantages for decentralized automation. Process computing devices can also be used as retrofit equipment to modernise existing plant and machinery.
Industrial processes and procedures in areas as diverse as chemicals, the food industry, oil and gas processing, water and wastewater technology, environmental protection, power plants, supply systems or building technology are being increasingly automated and tracked by monitoring systems. A combined measurement device and process control computer with measuring, control and monitoring functions already integrated represents a flexible alternative to complex process control systems. The computing device can also be installed as a redundant control system.
An intelligent process computing device for industrial processes
- Retrofit equipment in existing plants: Measurement and process computing devices can be used when existing processes are to be modernized and networked with control systems. The very compact design of the devices enable then to be installed into existing control cabinets. Connection to existing systems can be made using fieldbus interfaces and network connection via LAN, WLAN and OPC UA. Drivers for integration into SQL databases and data archiving are available for networked systems.
- Scalable for economy: When purchasing a measurement and process computing device, costly financial reserves are not required. The modular system can be expanded as required at any time. For example, ProfiMessage master devices can be extended by decentralized distributed slave devices for decentralized automation purposes.
Process computing devices are configured rather than programmed
- Configuring with the need for programming expertise: In contrast to conventional process control technology, process computing devices can be configured intuitively. They are equipped with software channels with predefined function modules that can be created, configured and saved and independently performed at the click of a mouse.
- Control, logic and calculation functions: The process computing device can perform any monitoring, control and regulation function. Easy to configure PID controllers are available for this purpose. With integrated logic functions, typical programming and function flow charts can also be performed. Computational functions enable online calculation of the required measurements (differential temperatures, pressures, mean values, statistics, integrals, differentials).
- Monitoring and optimising processes: Measurement systems can continuously record and store process data over extended periods of time and evaluate very large volumes of data online. Potential can then be systematically exploited to optimise processes.